Recently, I finally reached the Holy Grail of productivity: 0 emails in my inbox!! I think clearing up email inbox clutter is something a lot of people struggle - I noticed on my boss's phone that she had 8,423 emails that she hadn't opened! Yikes! I think I can safely say that it happens to the best of us. Here are some of my tips on staying on top of your emails:
- If it will take you 5 minutes, just respond right away: I used to be guilty of not replying or acknowledging that I received an email. A simple "Got it. Thanks" takes so little time and yet I think we've all been guilty of ignoring the kinds of emails that warrant that sort of reaction. Trust me - those emails will fill up in no time so just respond right away and save yourself some grief later.
- Delete email chains except the last one: At the end of the day, if I was a part of a long email chain, I just delete all of the messages except for the very last response. Everything that was said is already recorded on there anyway so you really don't need the rest of those emails taking up space in your inbox, do you?
- Folders are your friends: When you do need to save a few emails for longevity, use those folders! They're there to help you organize your emails so you know where everything pertaining to, say, finances are.
- Use those flags: If you use Outlook like I do at work, those flags are really handy to have - they turn red when you go past the due date and haven't cleared them off and guilt you into getting things done!
- Don't forget your "Sent" inbox: Sometimes I forget to clear up my inbox full of emails I've sent. Those are important too! be sure to keep those clutter free!
What are some of your tips on keeping your inbox clear? Let me know in the comments below!