While I'm no makeup junkie, I've figured out what works best for me. This required years of trial and error on my part and while I have a pretty sizable collection of makeup now, there are a few things I wish I knew when I was just starting out. I didn't really start wearing makeup until my third year of college and back then I seriously had no idea what I was doing. I used to buy eyeshadow palettes in colors I would never wear and foundations in shades that were way off. In this post, I'm listing a few items that I've come to love (that are pretty affordable) for those of you who are just starting out with makeup.
- L'Oreal Lumi Touch Cushion Foundation ($15): I love this because it gives your skin a soft glow without the need for a separate highlighter! I also think the application is quite easy as well - just tap your makeup sponge on the cushion with foundation on it and it will give you a light yet buildable coverage.
- Elf Contour Kit ($4): I've used more high end bronzers but I always come back to this Elf compact. It comes with a pretty blush that some say is a dupe for NARS's Orgasm blush. I just like the gold flecks on it and the matte bronzer is easy to use.
- Maybelline Eye Studio Ink Eyeliner ($8): I am super clumsy when it comes to liquid liners until they started packing them in pen form! I imagine most beginners may be like me when it comes to liquid liners as well so I highly recommend this product. The color is very pigmented and the tip is quite fine so it's easy to go over any mistakes you may make (I certainly make my fair share when I'm trying to wing my liner!)
- Maybelline Lash Sensational Mascara ($6): I've used quite a few mascaras but my current favorite is the Lash Sensational mascara by Maybelline. The wand is easy to use and clump free.
- Maybelline Eyeshadow Palette in "Sunbaked Neutrals" ($5): This palette is life! I used to use a quad shadow back in college called "Chai Latte" (also by Maybelline). When I went to pick up a fresh new palette once I hit the pan on it, I discovered this palette. Lo and behold, this palette contains all four shades from "Chai Latte" plus a couple others so I promptly took it home. Love this and if you like neutral shades, you'll like this too!
- Maybelline Color Whisper in "Rose of Attraction" ($6): If you like soft, subtle lip colors that don't dry out your lips, this is for you! I love this 'my lips but better' shade and the very hydrating formula.
The grand total of all of these products: $44!
What would you add or take away from this list?