I'm updating an old post today on some of my year-round essentials!
To be honest when I first wrote my old post I thought about some of the things other bloggers had been saying I needed and compared it to what I wore and adjusted the post accordingly. Today, I don't want to tell you guys what you need to have but I think a lot of you guys may find similarities in my list and what you guys wear on a daily basis. I'm listing these to help you guys if you are in need of an update to a classic item or if you guys are in the market for some of these things.
- Chambray shirt: This piece has been a regular since the early days of my blog. I've made an update to the one I used to wear and bought a lighter-colored one for a great price at Forever 21. Quality-wise, I think it's great and it's certainly held up for the last three years! I found a similar looking one from F21 here but I also love the ever-popular ones by Madewell too.
- Plain white tee: I have bought several plain white tees from Forever 21 over the years and while they don't last the longest, they're certainly some of the softest! Even Brian has told me on occasion that my PWTs are the softest he's ever felt. Plus, at $4 a pop, you're not breaking the bank for them so why not give them a try?
- Navy sweater: I'm a sweater aficionado, mostly because I'm always cold. I used to wear my Navy bow sweater religiously but I've moved on to the flowy peplum version by ASOS. This looks great paired with blue jeans or white jeans and I'm planning on pairing it with white shorts this season as well!
- Skinny blue jeans: I am all about spending more money on quality denim which is how I ended up at J.Crew and buying a pair of their toothpick jeans. Skinny jeans are a classic that flatter every body type (as long as you wear the right cut and size), and J.Crew makes the most flattering jeans ever. I've also bought a few jeans from H&M before as well and they're quite affordable and flattering too.
- Black pants: Another great piece by J.Crew unfortunately, they discontinued their Minnie pants but luckily their Martie pants are a great dupe. These pants are a work essential for me - I wear them all the time and they look great on the weekends too!
- Little black dress: I have since ditched my old Forever 21 LBD and switched to this classic, a-line silhouette number from Zara. I paid a bit more for this dress but I think it's worth it and I've found it to be incredibly versatile too -I've worn it to the opera, a Simchat Bat, and even to work. You can find great LBDs anywhere but some of my favorites are from White House Black Market, LOFT, and ASOS.
- Black heels: These Zara heels are a classic - I love the pointed toes because they make my legs look longer (and at 5'3, I need all the height I can get). When getting a pair of black heels, make sure you like the toe and that the heel isn't too high for you. One way to tell if a shoe is too tall is to put it on your feet and try to stand on your tippy toes in them. If you can't stand with there being at least an inch of space between the heel of your feet and the shoe, it's too tall.
- Neutral flats: I raved about these flats from Butterfly Twists last winter and while I still love them, unfortunately the metal bow has since come off while I was walking. I re-glued it on with some superglue but for the price, I feel like that shouldn't have happened. That said, I do still like that these flats can fold up but Tieks also do the job (though at a higher price point). I also love that these flats have pointed toes (see point about making your legs look longer above). Charlotte Russe also has a great pair of pointed-toe flats for $14 if you want an even lower price point.
- Leopard pumps: I bought these shoes a few years ago from Sole Society and they still remain one of my favorite pairs. I've had to take them to the cobblers to get the heel fixed on one occasion but they're still elegant, classic, and versatile. I love the d'Orsay design and again, the pointed toes. While Sole Society no longer has these specific leopard heels in this design, the d'Orsay pumps in other colors are on sale now. If you need a leopard heel Kate Spade has a gorgeous one that's on sale now.
What are some of your year-round essentials?